Was stopped in the street today by a concerned neighbour of a customer (currently on holiday) asking if Type 1 should have been put on his neighbours driveway. ‘Of course’ was my reply, apparently this company (no names mentioned but you will know who you are as I was stopped next to your job for 20 mins chatting to this guy) put in no Type 1 sub base at all, scraped back some chips and placed the sand directly on top of this, absolutely ridiculous and SURE to fail within months rather than years, really I take no satisfaction from these stories, actually feel like putting a note through customers door to not pay these guys on there return from holiday, if (or when) this driveway fails its actually going to be a bigger job to fix it than it would have been doing it properly from the offset,
If a customer offered us double to do this we would refuse, our business survives mainly through word of mouth, you can be sure the neighbours of this customer won’t be calling they guys in 6 months for a new driveway. shame!
Why do firms do this? main reasons..
1. less waste, a skip costs £180, if there putting in 8-10 tonnes of hardcore that nearly two skips of just waste alone, then another for off cuts and pallets etc
2. they would have to hire a digger for a few days at cost
3. 8-10 tonnes of decent type 1 costs money
4. digging out 10 tonnes and putting 10 tonnes back in takes time, labour costs
5. overall cost, to win the contract firms want there costs to be as low as possible,
The drive “LOOKS” the same but the base won’t last. do it right first time and there’s no reason why your driveway shouldn’t last 20+ years.